Rhodes Music Radio
Rhodes Music Radio, South Africa’s first independent and campus radio station, licensed in 1981 is a music youth station broadcasting to the education community in Grahamstown. The station covers 50 KM radius and reaches all the Grahamstown sections. Beside the terrestrial broadcast, RMR is also online, with a 24 Hrs streaming services through the station’s website.
The station does social responsibility work all in the empowerment of the community. RMR sustained a good relationship with Joza Youth Hub’s UpStart by offering them training in media production. In 2019, RMR collected donations and secured an emergency kit for a day care center for children living with disability.
- Create a platform for debate with mutual respect of different views.
- Train and impart skills to young talent.
- Contribute towards campus culture.
- Promote multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-racial space of learning.
Business goals & objectives
Create and sustain a financially viable student ran planform that put the interest of the student forward while enhancing an efficient flow of communication.
The station thrives on the student market which is the biggest economic group of the town. With student receiving some form of income with less responsibilities, they become lucrative to the business community locally and nationally.
Some of the current and completed projects.
- Rhodes Music Radio carries out streaming of conferences on campus to broadcast live on-air and several venues of campus i.e. RSA Deputy Cyril Ramaphosa Rhodes Visit
- RMR conduct outside broadcast during notable events on campus i.e. Isivivane Launch
- RMR is the media partner that officially broadcasts the election debates contest during SRC election season as well as in studio debates (Annual)
- Media Development and Diversity Agency Programme Production Project.
- Inter-Varsity simulcast with Madibaz Radio (2015)
- Inter-Varsity Live Broadcast from Port Elizabeth (2016)
- Spur Breakfast Broadcast 2016 (Live from the restaurant tables)
- Revelations Afternoon outside broadcast
- RMR presenter scoops a nomination for the best afternoon presenter Campus category), second year in a row during the South African Radio Awards
- Future Beats research concludes that RMR has the low number of listeners compared to other stations that participates in the programme but are the most engaged, who are able to state details of content, themes and other topics discussed. I.e. Rhodes University is a small institution as far as numbers are concerned.
- RMR scoops an nomination for the best weekend radio programming – National Community Radio Award (2016/17
- RMR Breakfast show scoops a nominations for the Best Breakfast show in South Africa.
1st Floor Student Union Building
Prince Alfred Street
Broadcast times: 24 hours a day
Broadcast Languages: English (60%), Xhosa (30%), Afrikaans & other official languages (10%)
Broadcast area: Grahamstown/Makhanda and 50km radius outside of the city
Physical Address: Stephen Bantu Biko Buildings, Prince Alfred Street, Grahamstown, 6140
Station Manager: Mr. Raymond Mojapelo
Listenership: 08000 RAM – 9644 Online stream montly ( iono.fm/s/70 )